For the 32nd consecutive year, the Akron Urban League will offer scholarships to high school seniors, residing and attending school in Summit County, sponsored by community groups, corporations, and higher education institutions.
Our scholarship program is aligned with our mission: to improve the lives of the citizens of Summit County, particularly African Americans. While all applications will be considered, our goal is to address the population we serve as stated in our mission.
Applications are available here: 2018 Scholarship Application
- Reside in and attend a high school located in Summit County, Ohio.
- Applicants must be in their Senior year, entering post-secondary education in Fall 2018.
- Have a grade point average of at least 2.5.
- All applicants must complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Applicants must submit one letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor and submit a personal essay (See application for details).
- All Awardees will be required to complete 20 hours of volunteer work prior to scholarship disbursement (usually completed in the Summer months prior to college attendance).
Completed applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 14, 2018. Please submit complete application package to 440 Vernon Odom Blvd, Akron, Ohio 44307, Attn: Scholarship Committee. Non-complete applications will not be considered.
Selected applicants will be scheduled for an interview with the Akron Urban League’s Scholarship Committee in March 2018. Awards will be presented at the Akron Urban League’s Annual Meeting and Building Scholars Awards Luncheon on April 26, 2018.
Contact Natashia Bishop at email@example.com or (234)542-4173.