The Akron Urban League announces their 92nd Annual Gala will now include the “Academy of Leaders Induction in 2017. The gala will be held on August 18, 5:30 – 6:30 pm reception, dinner at 6:45 pm and program at 7:30 pm, at the Grand Quaker Station, 130 East Mill Street, Akron, Ohio, 44325. This program will support the continuation of STEAM and advanced training at the Akron Urban League.
The inaugural Academy of Leaders Induction will honor seven women from the Greater Akron area who have contributed both personally and professionally in the fields of science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math. The Akron Urban League has elected to honor women in these areas as individuals in these fields will be the leaders of tomorrow. We want to honor them and those they touch to enter into these challenging but rewarding industries that will help to secure the future of the United States of America.
Whether teaching, performing in or language arts, scientist, all areas of engineering and technology, or a leader in manufacturing that uses STEAM to build or operate machinery, we want to recognize these women and share how they are impacting our society today and tomorrow.
Process for Nominations, Selections, and Candidate Notification:
- Nomination forms will be available on our website and available to the public and will also be sent electronically to all of our current community partners by January 15, 2017.
- Nominations will be accepted through March 18, 2017.
- A committee made up of leaders from the fields of STEAM will review the nominations and make the selection by April 4, 2017
- Candidates will be notified between April 5 and May 14, 2017 with a press release being sent by May 15, 2017
- Interviews, photographs and videos of the candidates will be completed by July 15 with the gala being held on August 18, 2017
Candidate Profile and Requirements:
- Candidate must be a resident of Summit County
- Candidate must be recognized among her leader(s) as an exceptional employee/leader or received award or recognition for exceptional accomplishment in the field of expertise
- Candidate must have mentored or tutored others in the specific field of expertise
- Candidate must be recognized as a volunteer in her church, community, work
- Candidate must have 3 letters of references from a) employer, b) business partner, c) friend