Our Workforce Development programs assist adults age 18 and older in preparing for, finding, maintaining, and advancing employment opportunities. Our goal is to help them develop the personal and professional skills needed for long-term job retention and advancement.
Who We Serve
- Recent High School Grads
- Recent College Grads
- Unemployed Millennials
- Underemployed Millennials
- Mature Workers – 40+
- Re-entry Population
- Summit County NEXT Program
NEXT provides retention and support services for recently employed individuals who have experienced a decline in public assistance caused by increased household earnings, known as the benefits cliff. Although the household earnings have grown, they have not increased enough to replace the lost benefits.
This Summit County Department of Job & Family Services initiative is led by the Akron Urban League in direct partnership with local community agencies.
- Job Seeker Preparedness & Supportive Services
The Akron Urban League provides job seekers with the tools and support needed for successful job searching and ultimately land a quality job that pays a living wage and benefits. Learn more about our current workshops today!
- One on one career coaching
- Career exploration assessment
- Resume building, interview preparation, and development of soft skills
- Ancillary services to support job seekers with barriers to employment
- Career Clothing Closet
Appearance is the first impression an individual makes when he/she arrives for an interview, career fair, internship, networking reception, or any other career-related occasion that requires professional attire.
The Career Clothing Closet provides resources to individuals needing business suits, dresses, shoes, accessories, or other appropriate work attire to wear to interviews or any other professional occasion. Through generous donations by community members, we provide professional attire, shoes, and accessories free of charge.
OPEN: Tuesdays, 9 AM to 11 AM and Thursdays, 2 PM to 4 PM.
Donations are currently on hold.
- Training and Certifications
The Akron Urban League’s career training programs offer individuals quick and affordable paths to industry-recognized credentials that enhance resume-building and preparation for new roles.
- Best in class: instruction from local colleges, universities, and training organizations.
- Fast finish: students earn certifications in three months or less.
- High impact: start applying your new skills right away in high-demand jobs.
- Help Desk Technician Apprenticeship
- Administrative Assistant Training Program
- Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, and OneNote Certificate of Completion
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word Certification
- State-Tested Nursing Assistant Certification (In partnership with Conxus and Stark State College)
- Certified Production Technician (in partnership with Conxus and Stark State College)
- Computer Numerical Control Machinist (CNC Machinist) (In partnership with Akron CNC)
Request More Info
Would you like to learn more about our job seekers program? Reach out to get in contact now.